Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chipping Away


I've been diligently working away on the photos from Egypt and Jordan. So far I've completed the pix from Egypt. I've yet to start Jordan.

Here a few fun pictures from Egypt.
This is of my new penpal who was hamming it up at Karnak. By having her in the picture you get an idea of the scale of the place.

Here's the statue of the sacred scarab beetle at Karnak. Legend has it if you walk around the beetle clockwise you will be fertile. In this picture the whole group is walking around the beetle counter-clockwise. So I have to wonder what they are wishing for?


Taking pictures of feluccas is easy. Taking interesting pictures of them is harder. I like this one at sunset in Aswan.


The temples and tombs are so big it's hard to take their pictures so I started looking at little details as every square centimeter is covered with carvings. Here are some tiny hieroglyphs that decorate temple facades. I'm was constantly fascinated with the attention to details. The birds have feathers. The insects have gossamer wings. Then you have to remember these are carved into stone.



Here is a panel that decorates the Temple at KomOmbo. The attention to detail on the carvings is amazing: Broad shoulders, tiny tummy, fingers, kneecaps, necklaces. Can you imagine the time it takes to carve all of that into stone?

Aside from her obvious attributes, look at her gossamer skirt. It's fragile looking and delicate.


There are now about 150 photos in my Mac gallery. Go there and click on the names of Egyptian towns and cities like Cairo, Phillae, Luxor, or KomOmbo and take a peak. Jordan will follow soon as we leave on another adventure in 2 weeks and I don't want to have 2 sets of photos waiting for me.
By the way, if you want to enlarge a picture, just double click on it!

No comments: