Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Big Five


When you go on a safari in Africa, I’ve heard that you want to look for the “Big 5” animals of the Serengeti. In the Rockies, there is a similar “Big 5” list, but the animals are different. If you are lucky, you might see our Big 5 of Bear, Moose, Elk, Bison and Deer. Over the past few days, we’ve seen moose, elk, bison and deer. Today we saw a grizzly bear. I took 5 pictures of this fellow, and this is the best. I'm not getting any closer to a Grizz!

Right before we saw the bear, we were stopped by a huge herd of bison crossing the road. Again, something we have rarely seen in the Tetons. Yellowstone has a resident herd of about 2000 bison while the Teton herd is less than 500. I think we saw 100 of them.

Taking pictures of animals is not as easy as it sounds. You cannot ask them to pose for you. You have to be ready to “take what you get.” You have to be close enough to see them, yet far enough away in order to be safe. IF you have a super-sized lens, this is not a difficult task. My Canon SD800IS point and shoot camera does not have a big lens, so I only take pictures of animals I can see clearly. Therefore, I will probably never take great photos of bear or moose.

No comments: