Saturday, May 23, 2009

ALERT

Sadly, I've been hacked! I do not know who or why, but it has happened. One of my yahoo email addresses has been hacked into by the Chinese. The email I had stored at the location has been compromised. Contacts that were stored at that location have been compromised too. I have asked Yahoo to shut the account down. I hope that will happen soon.

To protect folks who were listed on that webpage, I've changed the password and deleted as much information as I could. However, the page is now written in Chinese characters and I cannot understand what it says any more. SO, some contacts might still be there, and for this I apologize.

In the meantime, DO NOT USE L530@YAHOO.COM ANYMORE.

I know there is a lot of information on a webpage. I think of Facebook, Twitter, and the various profiles we all have on email accounts. Each one of those places has a wealth of information that can be used for both good and evil. I feel violated. Someone has some information about me that I did not wish them to have. Will it be used to hurt me? Will it be used to hurt my friends? I do not know that answer. Please take heed. It can happen to anyone. Protect your email accounts. Do not reveal too much information that can be used against you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear about the problems with your email account. I don't think there is any surefire way to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Our email account provides aliases we can use for places requiring an email address. All of the email comes through the alias and is routed to our main email account. I think it may help prevent a little spam, but maybe not a determined hacker.