Thursday, January 7, 2010

Singapore yesterday--tomorrow Vietnam

Yesterday we toured Singapore! What a place. Tomorrow we land in Vietnam for the first time…we make a second landing, in DaNang, a couple of days later. This is our first time in Vietnam and I’m not sure about my feelings about being here. The memories of the Vietnam War, while not fresh, are still vivid in my mind. We will visit the country, and I’ll have to deal with my feelings along the way.

In the meantime, we are enjoying shipboard life. I played “cut-throat” trivia today. I made the mistake of laughing while folks were concentrating…that’s a definite no-no when it comes to trivia. While I did not win, I did have fun trying to guess what the correct answer would be. Sometimes our team put far more thought in the process than needed…so when the questioner asked what had a greater population, Bombay or Tokyo,we answered Tokyo, since Bombay is now called Mumbai and therefore Bombay does not exist and it has zero population. Turns out our questioner had not heard about this name change and even though our logic was correct, we had the wrong answer! The rule is simple…don’t over-think a trivia question.  

One treat in Singapore was a beautiful koi pond.

Other than having too many opportunities to eat, this is a wonderful cruise. For me, a typical day on the Ocean Princess starts with a walk on the top deck track—11 laps make a mile (or 16 makes a nautical mile). I’ve been trying to walk 2+ miles a day, so I can keep up with all the food. I’ve also started walking down stairs. My rule of thumb is “ride up, walk down.” If you don’t exercise, you will gain at least 10 lbs per cruise. We are on a ship too often to gain that weight.   

I have a message for WeedWoman…I’m not wearing the travel sweater. It’s just too hot. I fear however, that I’ll be needing it (and more) when we get to Shanghai. This morning it was -1 in Shanghai! I did not bring a heavy coat. I wonder how cold it will be when we land there in 12 days.

No comments: