Saturday, December 27, 2008

Abu Simbel

Today we saw the 2 temples at Abu Simbel. In case you don't remember what they are, these are the temples that were moved to a higher location in order to be saved from drowning when the Aswan High Dam was filling up. Looking at the temples, one cannot imagine that they were moved as they look like they've been "planted" in the same spot for thousands of years. No matter how they were moved or why, what does matter is their beauty! When I think of Egypt I think of 2 things: the Pyramids and the huge statues at Abu Simbel. WOW comes to mind! It's hard to describe. When I get back to the world, I'll post of few pictures and you can be as amazed as I was.

Yesterday we rode in a felucca, one of the many one-sailed boats that ply the Nile. Our Nubian pilot tacked the Nile so we could see Elephantine Island, the tomb of the Aga Khan, camels on the far shore, and hundreds of Nile Birds. He made a difficult job look like a piece of cake.

I'm still not used to the Bazaars. While I am a good haggler, I don't like being pestered to buy something every time I step onto a public walkway. It's gets a bit disconcerting at times especially when a vendor has no concept of what "no thank you" means. Tonight we have an opportunity to go to the Spice Bazaar, which is supposed to be the "best" spice bazaar anywhere in the Middle East and I'm debating if I want to deal with the very aggressive vendors who haunt all Bazaars.

I don't know where we're going tomorrow and it does not really matter. We will sail away on the River Anuket sometime in the morning and head down river toward Cairo. This is great fun despite the Bazaars!

No comments: