Saturday, December 20, 2008

Airport Lounge: Second Report

Right now I’m sitting in the SwissAir Gold Lounge at JFK while waiting for our EgyptAir flight to Cairo. Apparently, EgyptAir does not have their own lounge but the Swiss are willing to share/rent space. It’s a very modern lounge with comfy chairs and a “quiet room” with “relaxing massage” chairs according to the sign. I will visit that space next. There’s also free wifi, a good collection newspapers, drinks (hard and soft) and food. Keeping track of the time is a huge Rolex clock.

The ride here was far more complicated that I expected. Our hotel shuttle driver unwound the tangle of roads that circle JFK in a mere 20 minutes. It would have taken me hours. After the first few minutes I was completely lost.

As I look out the window, I see a sea of white tarmac and not a lot of traffic (air or ground). I wonder if we are going to depart on time. The outdoor temps are in the 20s which is just a wee bit too cold for this pampered traveler but it is not actively snowing. Cairo will be in the 70s and there’s not a threat of snow.

Even if you do not like big airports, waiting in the SwissAir Lounge makes the JFK experience pleasant. I wonder what the counterpart will look like in Cairo on our flight back? Watch this space.

On another note, completely unrelated, take a look at this snow plow pick up truck that was outside our hotel this morning. It's a 2.5 ton Chevy that is awesome!

No comments: