Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Wild Backyard


We went to the Canadian Rockies to see a fantastic display of wildflowers...and now there's another great display right in my backyard. We have asters, potentilla, daisies, paintbrush, sego lilies, lupine, cone flower, clover, salsify, saxifrage, all vying for attention.


Of course you have to be "brave" to have a garden of wildflowers (or as my mother would have called them "weeds.") Brave because the landscape is overgrown with greenery that is disorganized and untidy. If you like the look, it's beautiful. If you don't, it's a bunch of weeds.


No matter--we like it and in the end, that's what counts.


On the other hand, you get to see some interesting things in the wild garden. As I was snapping away this morning, I heard just the slightest movement, and there, not too far away was a doe, doing her best to stand still. We stared at each other for a minute, then I took her picture and thanked her for adding to the beauty of my garden.

No comments: