Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween?

This has always been considered a night of fun and pranks. As a child I only remember block parties and costumes. Then all of that changed when my father received a subpoena one Halloween night. What a sneaky way to serve papers. For several years after that event, Halloween became a time filled with wariness.  

Over the years I've had a variety of goodies ranging from candy to coins to give to the kids. I prefer giving a handful of pennies as parents don't have to worry about the safety of my treat and therefore throw it away. And the kids always have fun trying to see how many pennies they can grab in one hand. (it's about 10-12 by the way). 

This Halloween however,  I'm not going to participate. I don't want little goblins and monsters ringing my doorbell begging for treats. Instead I'm going to close the gate to our property and turn the lights off. It's not because I'm a Scrooge. It's because I feel safer not opening my home to strangers. Halloween has become a night if revelry in our town and I do not know how safe it is to open the door to a semi-out of control group of youngsters. So bah! Humbug! No Halloween for us! Is it really Happy Halloween anymore? 

No comments: